Monday, August 1

Day #2 - Pearl Harbor and the Beach - Dad

The body does not adjust right away to a new time zone, so the day started at 4:30 am with Jake wrestling Luke and everyone being wide awake.  What do you do at 4:30 am in Hawaii - watch Big Brother.  It is a family thing because we don't want to fall to far behind.

Following that, I went out for a run, got lost and then argued with guys about directions back to the hotel.  After all I have a good sense of direction, why should I trust a guy that lives on the island and has a map.  As you can probably imagine, I was wrong and he was right.

We headed off to Pearl Harbor.  MJ miraculously got us free tickets ahead of time, so we skipped over the lines and just lined up for the tour.  The movie about Pearl Harbor was very informative - at least that was what I was told, I slept through the majority of it.  From what I saw and heard, it was informative and shorter than the three hour Ben Affleck movie.

Next we took a boat to the USS Arizona Memorial.  We were told to be reverent - not my specialty.  However it was neat to think that we were literally on top of a boat that was attacked.  At no point were we cited for being disrespectful, so I consider that a win. Some of us even met a man who was a child on the island when the attack happened.


We returned to the hotel ready to enjoy the beach.  The beach by the hotel is minimal and rocky.  However, we were in Hawaii and ready to enjoy.  Devon and I swam very far out into the ocean - no lifeguards to tell you to stop.  We just went further and further into the ocean.  It was a blast and I went further than she did.

For dinner, the kids choose a restaurant called Eggs & Things.  While it did not look like the most appealing place, we loved having breakfast for dinner.  The food was great.  As tradition would stand, Luke fell asleep during dinner with food hanging out of his mouth.  It is a good night when you fall asleep with food in your mouth.