Friday, August 5

Day #8 - Biking and Turtle Searching - Dad

VROOM!!!

We started our first day in Maui with a bike ride.  Sounds easy doesn't it.  The kicker is that it is 23 miles long.  We drove to a business where we were fully outfitted for the bikes (and the rain).  The workers did not seem to mind that it was raining and that was because it was a self guided tour.  As we were driven through the route with our guide, he was pointing out the turned and landmarks. It was interesting but I did not pay attention much because I did not realize that he was not going with us.  He took us to the top of a mountain and took pictures of us.  Then he took us even further up the mountain to let us roam around unsupervised.   I do not think that anyone cares if you hurt yourself in Hawaii as long as you are having fun.

The bike ride was awesome.  The sights, sounds and even smells were indescribable.  It was truly a ride that I will never forget.  I told you it was 23 miles, but I failed to mention that it was completely down hill.  With my weight, I was naturally propelled forward the entire time.  Luke had to pedal while I was able to pretty much coast all the way down the mountain with minimal pedaling.  The kids were in front and I was sure they were going to get lost, but we caught up with them at the bottom of the mountain.




Next we went to the beach to look for turtles.  I saw the largest turtle I have ever seen in the water.  He came to the top of the water and peeked out for a couple of seconds.  He smiled at us and when back to the bottom of the ocean where we could see him.  It is again a totally different experience in Hawaii then at any other beach.  People are very chill.

The night wrapped up with - Shave Ice.  Believe it or not we found the hut that the people we shared a Rapid Rover with on Day #1.  It was good.  The Lemonade Ice was excellent, but the condensed milk on top did not meet the expectations from previous locations, so the search will continue.

I am definitely not continuing to loose weight and I am sure that I will continue to gain for another week.